The toxins in most traditional treats make them a no-no, especially for kids
on the spectrum…
By Dr. Lisa Sulsenti
Trick or Treat?
I am here to answer this seasonal never-ending question.
Wait for it…
We are being tricked with our treats!
That’s right. Many adored conventional candies are made with toxic harmful
ingredients. I use to love conventional candy just as much as the next
person. In fact, I love chocolate. Call me a chocoholic if you must, but
when I began to research what really was in many of my beloved chocolate
treats, I was disgusted.
And, having three sons (one on the autism spectrum), I had to make sure we
avoided conventional sweets since many harmful ingredients are linked to
health problems such as tumors, attention deficits, hyperactivity, behavior
and neurological problems. Crazy, I know.
Don’t worry. After I show you what is in many conventional candies and why
you must avoid them, I will provide you with delicious non-toxic
replacements. Let’s look at the good, the bad and the ugly, starting off
with the ugly!
A genetically modified organism is an organism whose genetic material has
been altered using genetic engineering techniques. Many crops today are
genetically modified and used in our foods and drinks. When I am teaching
patients how to read labels, I have them identify ingredients that may be
derived from possible GMO sources such as glucose, dextrose, maltose,
fructose, highly processed high fructose corn syrup, corn starches and other
sugar variants (as well as, corn, soy and wheat).
According to Professor Gilles-Eric Seralini’s study on genetically-modified
(GM) corn treated with Monsanto’s Roundup herbicide, Monsanto’s NK603 GM
maize variety and Roundup herbicide, led to kidney and liver damage. GMOs
have also been linked to serious health problems such as tumors in rats. The
NON GMO PROJECT <http://www.nongmoproject.org/
know which products are safe to purchase as GMO- free. Lifesaving,
To continue reading, click here.